Monday, March 16, 2009

Travelin' Man


I arrived home last night at 5 AM after a long drive straight from Toronto to New York to Baltimore, the last leg of a whirlwind mini-tour over the past two weeks that has allowed me to feel like I'm living the dream of rock star DJ life. If only I were actually making any money doing the shows... imagine. The experience of performing in two new countries (Portugal and Canada) and collaborating onstage with amazing musicians has been great. Arriving home is even better. As much fun as touring and performing is, I can't imagine touring regularly, one night after another in a different city with my family far away.

Tomorrow Mila and I depart for Iowa City, this time without turntables. We will be spending 5 days with my parents and my brother. Marie is not able to come with us, due to her work schedule. This will be the longest period of time that Mila and Marie have been apart, and I don't expect that it will be easy for either of them. I don't know what to expect from Mila when she suddenly goes from two weeks without seeing her dad much to suddenly being swept up on an airplane and hanging out with only her dad, uncle, and grandparents for almost a full week. I am looking forward to seeing the blossoming of communication skills that Mila has regularly showed when receiving undivided attention from her relatives.

I am so grateful to Therese, Marie's mom, for flying up from Florida to help take care of Mila during my mini-tour. Family is wonderful. Here's to a calmer April before the Spangler family of Baltimore expands with a new member, later on toward the summer. Yes, I believe that the secret is out. Marie and I look forward to preparing together for something very special.

No comments: