Friday, September 12, 2008

New Job And A Babysitting Exchange

A few weeks ago I was contacted by the head of the video department at MICA (Maryland Institute College of Art), asking if I was available to teach a sound class starting the next week. I had contacted him in the spring asking about part-time teaching, and although there was nothing available at the time, luckily he remembered me when they had a last-minute opening. So, I am now teaching Sound 1 (a once-a-week class that meets for 6 hours at a time) at MICA, and it seems that they want me to continue teaching that class, plus Sound 2, next semester too!

I am incredibly fortunate that my friend Ben, another stay-at-home dad, was open to a weekly babysitting exchange that gives us both time to get in our work. Ben's son, Silas, is Mila's best friend so it is working out great. We are all part of a playgroup organized through BaltAP (Baltimore Attachment Parenting). Marie met everyone in the playgroup first, while I was teaching full-time in the charter school last year. It has been a great network to inherit as I have become a stay-at-home dad. Gradually, working and parenting life is beginning to find its patterns and balance.

Two great video clips from last week: the first is Mila interacting with Silas while he plays melodica. The second is a pretty cool turntable duo improv session between Mila and Naftali, another great kid from BaltAP. Mila's turntable has Bach cello, Naftali's has DJ Vadim, with delay effects via my Korg KP3.

No comments: