Thursday, September 11, 2008

Vocabulary

It just occurred to me yesterday that I really need to document how Mila is developing her vocabulary. She is now understanding a huge amount of what Marie and I say, and is really picking up speed with her ability to repeat sounds and words that she hears. We were all having family lounging time this evening, listening to Bjork ("Aurora", from Vespertine), and for the first time I heard Mila repeat back words that she heard in the lyrics (and singing imitatively). This was really amazing to hear. It definitely makes me feel the need for a new level of consciousness about speech in Mila's presence, and about some of the other lyrics-based music that I listen to. Ahem.

I have tried putting together a list of vocabulary words that Mila currently says and understands. I know I'm forgetting a lot of them. She can understand, but not yet say, probably at least double the number of words listed here:

Babu, Baby, Ball, Bibi, Boat, Book, Boot, Bounce, Bug, Bye, Car, Cat, Cracker, Cheese, Daddy, Dog, Doll, Duck, Ear, Eye, Feet, Fish, Flower, Gator, Go, Goat, Hat, Hi, Home, In, Juice, Jump, Mommy, Moon, More, Mouth, Nani, Nemo, No, Nose, One, Out, Papa, Paw, Play, Please, Salsa, See, Shoe, Shy, Sit, Stay, Three, Too, Truck, Two, Up, Water, Yes, Zoo.

She can say most of the letters of the alphabet, not in any particular order, and is now getting "A, B, C" in the correct sequence. Same for "One, Two, Three". Pretty cool.

She also has ASL signs for many more words that she is not yet able to say.

No comments: